Friday, January 29, 2010


Okay, here's a picture of a mosqito who is.......................................



NOT
my friend!!!

Last week I, Holli, got malaria! And let me tell you it was not fun! Right now in Malawi it is the rainy season so the risk for Malaria is pretty high. James sees many cases of it daily at the clinic. We are on preventative medicines but I got lazy and hadn't been taking mine! It was a hard lesson to learn! I started feeling some joint pain in my fingers and then had a slight fever of 100, that's all, last wednesday.

By that night it was on! I woke up so nauseas I couldn't sleep and my whole body started to ache, and get the chills. By thursday morning I went to the clinic and was tested positive. Thursday and friday I was really sick with fever reaching 103.5 at times. I don't remember my fever letting up at all on friday. It makes your whole body just hurt. My legs throbbed, my back. It took me until about the following tuesday to feel somewhat like myself again.

I am all better now, praise the Lord! Some of you knew about this and prayed me through it, so I am so grateful! We were unable to get this on the blog here at the time, James was a little busy being a single parent and juggling work as well! We have some really great neighbors that took Ashley everyday for us though. I am so blessed to have you, Connie and Amy, in my life! thank you!!!!

I would ask you to pray for us here that none of us will get this dreaded illness. It can be really bad, but God was certainly gracious to me. Please pray esp. for our children, that they would be protected. We sleep every night with a mosquito net around our beds and try to stay inside at dusk. It's tricky getting Ashley to take her medicine. Thre are pills they take everyday and we have to hide hers in oatmeal or yogurt, the pill tastes so bad!
You can believe I am back on my preventative meds now! :)

thank you for praying specifically for this!
holli

2 comments:

  1. I am very sorry to hear that you had the dreaded malaria. I took doxy everyday, myself, because I heard what happens to azungus when they first get malaria, i.e., you feel like you are dying. Sleep under a mosquito net!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I'm so glad that you are feeling better. That sounds awful. I just wanted to say hello. David and I couldn't believe how big Chad and Wes are in the pictures here. I guess it has been about 3 years since we've seen them. All is well in Bristol. David is set to graduate in May!!! We love you guys. It was fun reading about some of your adventures.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete