Thursday, March 11, 2010

Update on Holli's doctor appointment:

Well I went to my appointment in Winston Salem yesterday, wednesday, and was completely shocked! In fact, I still feel in shock. They had to repeat my mammogram and then they did three needle aspirations into the mass or lump in the right breast. These cells came back cancerous. I never thought this would be the case. I guess I had totally talked myself into believing all was benign and I would be on the flight back to Malawi next monday. Needless to say, our plans have changed. I wasn't able to reach James with skype on the wi-fi system in the hospital so we went across the street and connected with him on the computer at Panera Bread. It was a hard call to make. Fortunately, I took my father's advice and had a friend go with me to the appoinment. Christine went with me. She's my very FUN friend who always makes me laugh and she's a nurse on top of that. So I was extremely glad she was with me with they told me the news. Christine, I am forever grateful and indebted to you girl!
My parents also came to Winston with Ashley to "show her off" to some friends while we were at the appointment. Then we all met at Panera Bread.
SO....................what does this all mean? My head is spinning. But James and the boys are, as I type this, packing up our things in Malawi and actually got a flight out friday morning. They will arrive in Charlotte early saturday morning.
I have several doctor's appointments friday. They will discuss with me my options for treatment, lumpectomy versus masectomy. This whole thing makes my stomach turn.
Then I'll meet with a geneticist as well as a plactic surgeon. I will also have a chest x-ray and bloodwork done to see if there has been any intial spreading. PLEASE PLEASE pray that it has not spread.
I will try to keep ya'll informed on our blog here when I know more.

If I could ask you to pray for the following:
-that the cancer has not spread
-safe flight for James and the boys
-wisdom on my part as I listen to these doctors on friday
-that I would have no fear and really learn the power of prayer, I have a lot to learn.
-transition for the boys. They loved life in Malawi and made some really good friends.
We are all leaving some good friends behind, it's VERY hard. We also have to leave our new puppy behind. I cried when I realized that.
-decisions about school for the boys.

One amazing thing is that just a few days ago, I was dealing with our house here and was told that our renter accepted a new job out of town and would be leaving in two weeks! We had noone to rent our house...............until now! God opened up our house for us to move right back in.
thank you so much,
holli

5 comments:

  1. Praying Holli for all of the above requests. Love, Linda Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, lots of prayer for you folks!

    Mtendere and Muyende bwino.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holli,
    I know you must feel numb and have so many questions. I can remember the day I was given the news 7 years ago. I was getting ready for a mission trip to Chile. Our team was 3 weeks from leaving. God had a plan and I saw Him work it out. I will call you soon and tell you about His faithfulness during that time.
    Em is keeping me posted and I will continue to check your blog.
    My email address is urlookingood@cox.net.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers. I'll talk to you soon.
    Please give your parents our best regards.
    Blessings,
    Dayna Austin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holli, you may know me through Tiffany, but Brian just told me to pray for you and after finding your blog I wanted to assure you that you will not only be in my fervent prayers, but I will ask others who can be counted on to pray in faith believing to join me. May you feel His perfect peace and presence and have crystal clarity and wisdom as you investigate your options. I'm also praying for all the transitions and travel. Many blessings! Psalm 91:14-16

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Holli! I am a huge fan of your husband!! He, what we say around our home, "fixed" our oldest daughter. She had a milk intolerance and he was the only doctor who would listen to me when she was screaming constantly and tried to help me "fix" her...so he's pretty much my husband and my hero! :) I have certainly missed him from the office in Gastonia. However, the work you have done and sacrifices you all have made there in Malawi are so commendable. (That is how I know of you.)

    I saw on my facebook a message about praying for you. I had to search around so that I could make sure this was you and not some other Holli High. I found your blog finally!! I have been searching for it and I must have been spelling a name wrong. I found you!!

    God is amazing!! He is so faithful! And don't you love it when you see Him, such as your renters are about to move out when you need your home...I pray that this works out and continues as planned. God is faithful and He'll continue to be. I will continue to pray. I can only imagine how you must feel! I am praying for everything you mentioned above. And I know that getting reunited with your family today will make you feel so much better!

    Take care of yourself! And I'm praying for you!!
    Deedie Springer

    ReplyDelete