Friday, March 19, 2010

well.........Can you believe all this! I was so convinced that this was benign. I can hardly grasp it myself! Who would have thought that it would come to this and so suddenly. But I can already see God answering prayer and I do not feel alone.
I did test negative for the breast cancer gene! This means there is no indication that anything could have been passed onto my kids. This also means that I don't have a higher risk for ovarian cancer. One less surgery!

A lumpectomy was never really an option I believe. This cancer wasn't the kind only contained in a duct as we had hoped, but it's invasive as well, broken through the cell wall. But there is no evidence that it has spread throughout the rest of my body. The chest x-ray and blood work to check my liver, lungs, bone and blood were CLEAR! :) Thank you God! But we won't know the stage or type of cancer it is until they examine it after surgery.

Now in surgery they take some of the lymph nodes out under my arm and send them right away to pathology. They check for cancer and then give the waiting surgeon the results on the phone. If it's negative then they can do breast reconstructive surgery right then! The plastic surgeon team are waiting in the room as well. Oh I hope this happens, one less surgery. If it's positive for cancer, then they finish up the masectomy and I'll need radiation without the implants, and then have another surgery at a later date for that.

The thing that was the biggest blow to me was when they told me I'd have chemo. I lost it. With cancer in the lymph nodes, you def. need chemo. If not, they still "offer" it to you. But considering my age (39) and the size of the tumor I would need chemo just to make sure. They say if the tumor is 1 c.m. you need chemo. Mine measured (in malawi) 1.9 c.m. Now there is a chance that the tumor is actually smaller/larger than what the malawian scans read. But they won't know for certain til it's out and they can measure it.

So James really feels like the malaria I had was so bad that it actually suppressed my immune system so much that it brought this lump to the "surface". Otherwise I might still be there with breast cancer and not know it. So I am so very thankful I had malaria!!!

I'm not sure of the time of my surgery next thursday yet. I'm glad that they are acting fast on our behalf.
here are some of my personal prayer requests:

1-that this cancer would be contained in the breast and not in the lymph nodes or anywhere else. Please have people pray this for us!

2-that I would have a positive morale. learn of more success stories!

3-for James. That he would have the strength he needs to be there for all of us! I'm thankful he's not working right now.

4-for our children, Chad, Wes, and Ashley. that they would not be scared. and still feel secure as their life as they knew it changed so abruptly. I do wish that they could've finished the year out in school. But then I remember that God knows what's best for them and that He pulled them out, not us, so He'll take care of them. He loves them.

5-that I would understand the power of prayer. to be honest I don't think I've ever "gotten it".

6-chemo would not make me too sick or tired.

7-that I would be diligent to study what I need to study and change my diet dramatically. It's overwhelming all the literature out there I assume. I have been told numerous times that cancer feeds on sugar so I have cut out processed sugar. I have never been able to do it before now, but when this happens, my perspective changes when I know I CAN"T have it!

8-my son Wes. He has had eczema all of his life. Finally in Malawi it all cleared up and his skin was so smooth and clear! We live in the woods here and I read somewhere that Charlotte is one of the worst in the nation for pollens. Please pray that his eczema doesn't come back!

thank you so much for reading this and praying for me and my family.
love
holli

3 comments:

  1. Mrs Holli My five year old grandson gave me hope to go on.
    I have been going through a hard time Doc knows My name is Robin he was my granddaughters best ever doc we miss him
    Lewis my gs and I was going to pick his mom up from work it was really dark and I keep hearing him say something I was listing to 106.9 so i turned it down I said u talking to me son he said no so two more times I heard him say something I ask again are you ok he said mawmaw Im talking to God I said u are what are u telling him he said when I am afraid I will trust in God three times My eyes filled with tears I said what are u scared of he said it is so dark and mawmaw every time u get scared I hear u say it three times and then u get ok I never knowed he was listning a has power with God when my Dad was dying Madison was three but u talk about praying she did and I watched God move I know it has been a battle since u all started out But God is faithful hold on pray from your heart just say Daddy its Holli I need your help u know the devil dont want u to win give him a black eye Madison Lewis and me are praying so hard for u all if u need any thing just let me know love in christ Robin Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you this evening and tomorrow. God already knows the outcome, and guess what? It is good. Though our eyes do not always see it as that. So thankful for the triumphs you've seen already. Praying for your nerves as you go in, that they can do reconstructive surgery right away, and that God will give you a dear friend to go with you to your chemo treatments. I can't imagine going through what you are, but God gives the grace as we need it. Hugs, Lynnette (friend of Alyssa)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holli, my prayer for you this morning is from the Word of God:
    Psalm 91
    1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
    2 This I declare about the Lord: He alone is (Holli's) refuge, (her) place of safety; he is (her) God, and (she will) trust him.
    3 For he will rescue (her) from every trap
    and protect (her) from deadly disease.
    4 He will cover (her) with his feathers.
    He will shelter (her) with his wings.
    His faithful promises are (Holli's) armor and protection. 5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,nor the arrow that flies in the day. 6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
    14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. 15 When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble.I will rescue and honor them. 16 I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.”

    Praying for each specific request you've made. Blessings and peace in Christ our Lord.

    ReplyDelete